Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2004

analyze this

A while ago, in my online travels, I stumbled across the Jung Typology Test. I find this kind of thing fascinating. So, because it was easy and free, I filled out the form and submitted it. Seconds later, I was analyzed, categorized as an INFJ - which meant nothing to me (will mean nothing to anyone not familiar with the categories of Jung’s classification: Extroversion vs. Introversion; Sensing vs. Intuition; Thinking vs. Feeling, and Judging vs. Perceiving added by someone else).

But the handy website also had documents which described each type. On reading the description of the INFJ, I was surprised at how bang-on it was in many areas. "INFJs have a knack for fluency in language and facility in communication," says one article. "Usually self-expression comes more easily to INFJs on paper, as they tend to have strong writing skills" says another. I hope this is true about me. It would be a good thing, because I spend a lot of time each day, writing for one reason or another

"INFJs tend to be idealists, and because of their J preference for closure and completion, they are generally ‘doers as well as dreamers.’" This is too is reassuring, although I must admit, I’ve shelved my share of incomplete projects. Maybe the tension between my idealism (could never attain what I think it should be anyway, so give up) and that ‘judging’ voice in my head is why I feel so guilty about them.

Finally, this comforted me: "INFJs are true introverts, who ....at intervals will suddenly withdraw into themselves....it is a necessary escape valve for them providing both time to rebuild depleted resources and a filter to prevent emotional overload..." I’ve often wondered what’s wrong with me that, when given a choice, I sometimes prefer my own company to the company of others. It’s not that I dislike people. I like them. A lot. In fact, there have been times of isolation when I’ve felt if I don’t make contact with someone soon, neurosis will blossom. But, on the other hand, being with others for long periods of time exhausts me. Now I discover that’s normal for me. It’s the way I was made.

My husband also took the test. The article describing him was uncannily accurate.

So, if you’re reading this, consider taking the test for yourself. In addition shedding some light on your perceived messed-uppedness, it may point out areas of strength for you to develop. At the very least, it could help you stop trying to be the person you were never meant to be anyway.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...