Pages

Monday, January 08, 2007

switching roles



The Martha in Me

She (Martha) had a sister called Mary who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. Luke 10:39,40


Too often Martha takes charge –
I schedule service with conditions
workboots clomp on everything
threatening my control
I curse the one who’s late
ignore the longing in my daughter’s eyes to chat
dismiss the women with Watchtower at my door–
not aware I’ve stamped out
embers of His presence

– while Mary sits confined to a corner of my heart
shaking her head in sadness and disbelief:
Girl, when will you learn
to serve Him you must first
let Him serve you.
You will not hear His zephyr voice
above the drumbeat of agenda,
motion’s clatter or ambition’s roar.
Open yourself to interruption, serendipity
stillness. Be flexible, available
to sit down or jump up
at His impractical bidding.

© 2003 – V. Nesdoly

******************

January is a month of prayer emphasis in our church. This week has been set apart as a week of consecration. Pastor has challenged each of us to spend it “looking under every stone of your life.” In his excellent Sunday sermon he talked about following Ezra's example in praying for personal and national revival. He suggested that for this week we change our routine in some way – eliminate some things from our lives and add in others.

I’ve decided to take the week off from this blog to spend some Mary-moments with Jesus. I’ll be back (I think) a week from today.

(Picture is from Jesus Life in Pictures - Cath Art Creations by Marianne.)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...