Pages

Thursday, May 28, 2009

promptings top ten hymns countdown - 2, 1

(This is my fifth and final post of favorite hymns for Semicolon's top 100 hymns project.
#1, #2, #3, #4)


2. "Of the Father's Love Begotten" - 413
by Aurelius C. Prudentius, Translated by John M. Neale 1818-1866 and Henry W. Baker, 1821-1977. "Divinum mysterium", Plain-song tune, 12th century

I first heard this song sung by the Amadeus Children's Choir when our daughter sang in it. At the beginning of the Christmas concert the children entered the auditorium singing it in their clear, pure voices. What a heavenly sound!

Since then it has become one of my favorite hymns. Its beautiful lyrics and plaintive tune make it unforgettable.





1. "A Mighty Fortress" - 1529
Text: Martin Luther Trans. by Frederick H. Hedge
Music: Martin Luther Harmony
Tune: EIN' FESTE BURG

"In the forward of a book, Luther once wrote: 'Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treaure in the world. It controls our thoughts, minds, hearts and spirits.'

...Luther's most famous hymn is "Ein Feste Burg ist unser Gott," -- "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God." Based on Psalm 46, it reflects Luther's awareness of our intense struggle with Satan. In difficulty and danger, Luther would often resort to this song" (p. 15, Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan).

I would say it never fails to encourage me too!



Hymn stories are quoted or adapted from Then Sings My Soul by Robert J. Morgan.

2 comments:

Rebecca Stark said...

I love both of these.

Violet N. said...

Aren't they grand?! I love Luther's statement about music too - so true.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...