Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Regal "Come Again" Cookies


Another Recipe Roundup is just around the corner. It will be posted a week from today - Monday November 19th. Here are the taste sensations the roundup is after this month - from Semicolon's blog:

The November Recipe Round-up count down begins here and now! The category is Holiday Recipes, and I’m specifically looking for those special Thanksgiving and Christmas and Hannukah recipes that make your family’s celebration a little richer and those that get you all into the holiday spirit.

So, put up a holiday recipe on your blog. Then post a link to it on Semicolon's Mister Linky Recipe Roundup which is here.

Here is my contribution. It's from the recipe book my Mom hand-wrote and gave me for my birthday shortly after I was married. She made these cookies every Christmas and I have pretty much carried on the tradition.



Regal "Come Again" Cookies

A fruity Christmas cookie

2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup butter
2 eggs
3 cups flour (all-purpose)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts
1 cup glacé cherries cut fine
1 cup mixed candied fruit
salt to taste
2 teaspoons vanilla

Cream butter and sugar well.
Add eggs and mix well.
Add flour with leavenings and other ingredients.
Mix and knead with hands for a long time.
Drop by spoonfuls or roll into the size of a walnut.
Bake at 350 F until brown (about 10 minutes)


When I make these cookies, I often omit the candied fruit (I'm not crazy about the taste). Instead I use glacé or maraschino cherries. Sometimes I slice green and red cherries in halves, press the cookie balls flat and put a colored cherry round in the middle of each cookie before baking.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...