Pages

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Courtenay and Comox

Friday, September 19:

We bid goodbye to lovely Powell River. A one hour and 20 minute ferry ride later found us docking at Comox on Vancouver Island. More to explore!



We started out by driving to the home of a writing friend and her husband, previously only online acquaintances, for coffee (thanks Austins!).

Then it was on to Courtenay. This interesting building in the old downtown area caught my eye. It is called the "Native Sons Hall" and was built as a tribute to the logging industry. Ceiling joists were made of 65 foot long Douglas Fir logs. The building is said to be the largest free span log building in Canada (whatever that means! - sounds impressive).


I also captured some murals around town.



In the evening we drove out to Comox, a city just around the bay from Courtenay, where I couldn't resist the boats reflected in the tranquil waters of the marina.


I love the sea - as long as I can have my feet on land!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...