A delicious treat that's easy to make and fabulous for giveaways.
- 40 soda crackers (1 sleeve from an approximately 250-gram box)
- 1 cup butter (or margarine)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups chocolate chips (or more if you want a thicker chocolate topping)
- Other optional toppings: salted peanuts, candy sprinkles, coconut, dried fruit, granola; I used 1 cup salted peanuts)
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Line a 17 x 12 pan with parchment paper or tin foil (if using tin foil, spray with non-stick coating - like Pam - or butter/margarine).
3. Arrange crackers in pan, flat side up and set aside.
4. Combine butter and sugar in heavy bottomed medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
5. Increase heat to medium high and boil 3 minutes without stirring.
6. Pour mixture evenly over crackers; spread to cover.
7. Bake 5-7 minutes.
8. Take out of oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over crackers. Let stand for about 1 minute to soften. (If you're using additional toppings and want them covered with chocolate, spread them over the softened chocolate chips at this point). Spread the softened chocolate to cover base (and other toppings if used).
9. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for 2 hours to cool thoroughly.
10. Break apart and package.
Original recipe from The Savvy Shopper blog