Pages

Saturday, November 07, 2009

NaNo update


Just a little update on the last week. I've written. A lot. If you check the NaNo widget to the right, you'll see my word count is 16,110. My goal was to reach 16,000 before I quit for the weekend. Now the story gets a rest till Monday morning.

I'm learning so much!

  • I can write for long stretches at a time.
  • I don't work like I thought I would. I envisioned myself working for hours at the keyboard. However, I've discovered my best way of composing is longhand, with pencil. This is about the speed my brain works (I know, I'm slow). Then I read what I've written onto a minicassette tape and type it out as if it were dictation (good thing I kept my transcription tools)  making wee changes along the way but of course never officially editing. I've sworn off that for the month!

    (For your interest, check out this piece about the variety of ways 'real' writers work - sent to my by one of my NaNo buddies)
  • This story has been brewing inside me for years (I first had the idea and did some work on it in 2002). It feels very good to get it out of my head and onto  a document  - I was going to say 'paper' but I haven't even printed the thing out yet.
I'm celebrating the end my first week of NaNo with hubby, and friends. We're going to see and hear Adrian Plass and Glen Soderholm in the Story and Song Tour - Delta BC. Woot!

3 comments:

Joanna Mallory said...

Way to go, Violet! And what an interesting discovery about what writing method works best for you.

I'm sure you had a great evening at the Story and Song tour. You've sure earned a weekend break!

Lynda Schultz said...

What incredible discipline. Some day I'll get there, some day. I'm excited for you. Can't wait to hear how it all works out.

Violet N. said...

Thanks tons, friends!! Now another week looms. They say the second week is the hardest. More discipline please, Lord!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...