Today I was the ant, preparing for winter. I have just finished finding room in the freezer for close to 20 lbs. each of peaches and nectarines. And with that little item I resume my list of 1000 gifts:
55. I love the summer fruit!
56. I love spending a day in the kitchen, especially when I have a tidy row of boxed ready-to-freeze items to show for it.
57. A few days ago it was blueberries. They were on the ripe side so I decided as well as freezing them whole, to make a little jam. When I discovered I was out of Certo, I googled "blueberry jam no pectin" and came across the simplest recipe (6 cups blueberries, 3 cups sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice). It took a bit of boiling and stirring but my jam set nicely.
58. On Saturday I went to a writer's event in Vancouver sponsored by The Word Guild. From it I have some helpful handouts to help me evaluate my career direction for the future.
59. I felt especially pleased when my plans to go and return by public transit worked without a hitch!
60. Yesterday we spent a beautiful afternoon with friends at Lonsdale Quay
61. ...where we found some fun public art.
62. ...and I discovered a wonderful place for an outing with our grand-babies at some future date (imagine a Thomas fan getting his hair cut here!)
63. French onion soup.
64. Hubby found a replacement carafe for our coffeemaker.
65. ...and a new dryer knob (bye-bye pliers).