Pages

Monday, January 15, 2007

my blog-break week

Hi! I’m back from my little blog hiatus. It was a good week. I spent time reading in the Gospels pondering the words of Jesus, especially what He said about the Kingdom of Heaven. I’ve determined to live by the laws of that kingdom more and more – and have been thinking what changes that might mean in various departments of my life.


On Wednesday winter scored again. After a big dump of snow, the weather turned cold. Thursday was gorgeous and sunny. But instead of our routine of snow-and-melt, this time the white stuff is hanging around as we sit under an Arctic air mass (where is global warming when you need it?).


Thursday we went to the memorial service of an old friend. Actually he was the dad of some dear friends of my youth. What an amazing man! He was among the core of Wycliffe translators that came to Lima, Peru with Dr. William Cameron Townsend in 1945. I remember him telling stories at missionary conferences when I was a kid. Even then I loved to listen to him.

His passion for souls lasted into his old age. At the memorial reception someone told the story of what happened when he went for a walk around Mill Lake in Abbotsford not long ago (at 88-89 years). He noticed some teens skateboarding and wondered how he could engage them in conversation. So he called them over to where he was sitting, showed them pictures of his grandkids, talked to them about their interests etc. then gently steered the conversation toward spiritual things.

Today we go to YVR to say goodbye to my nephew Chris, his beautiful wife Jane and their kids Kenny, Albert, Isaiah, and Andrew. They are going to Jinja, Uganda under Equip (some more spiritual giants in the making?). They will work with several organizations who look after orphans. Their job is to help in the practical end of things with agriculture, water purification etc. God bless you guys!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...