Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2007

good intentions

are not ‘Yes.’

Jesus tells a parable of a father and two sons. To the first son the father says, “Go,” son says “No,” but later, he goes anyway. To the second son the father says, “Go,” son says, “Yes,” but doesn’t go. Then Jesus asks, “Which of the two did the will of his father?” The answer, of course, is obvious - the first son who said ‘no’ but later went and did.

Doesn’t Jesus so sum up our hearts in this little story? I surely have been both sons - but probably tend more toward the second. It’s easy for me to say, “We’ll get together soon,” or “I’ll pray for you,” or “I’ll put more muscle into memorizing scripture.” But then nothing happens. Who do I think I’m kidding?

Dear Lord, help me to learn that a good intention is not a ‘yes.’ Help me to live ‘yes’ today.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...