Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2007

word wash

When outbursts of anger and drips of gossip
are dribbled down the front of my shirt
and beneath them I see the stubborn stains
of a critical spirit, a judgmental attitude
pride and ambition
When my shoes grow heavy
with worldly gumbo – profanity-laden talk
and suggestive humor,
the backs of my legs
spattered with TV levity, erotica,
web-surfing and mouse-play
When, on close inspection
even my sleeves and collar
are dingy with anxiety, fear
negativity and unbelief
It’s time to visit the Word Wash

Blot the dribbles
“Against you and you only have I sinned...”
Pre-wash the stains
“Cleanse me with hyssop...”
Scrape off the mud, spot-wash the spatter
“How can a young man keep his way clean
By living according to Your Word.”
Take it all off and imbue with Word water:
“Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth...”
soak, lave, slosh
“Be anxious for nothing...”
scrub
“Perfect love drives out fear...”
rinse
“...cleansing her by the washing with water
through the Word and to present her to himself
as a radiant church without stain or wrinkle
or any other blemish.”

(NIV Scriptures - Psalm 51:4,7; Psalm 119:9; Philippians 4:6; 1 John 4:18; Ephesians 5:26,27)

© 2004 - V. Nesdoly

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...