Pages

Saturday, November 05, 2005

the martha in me

...did I ever post this poem in my blog? I can't remember. But just now I read ragamuffin diva - where she talks in her most eloquet prose of this exact same thing.

So, here's my version:

The Martha In Me

She (Martha) had a sister called Mary who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what He said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. Luke 10:39,40a

Too often Martha takes charge --
I schedule service with conditions
workboots clomp on everything
threatening my control
I curse the one who's late
ignore the longing in my daughter's eyes to chat
dismiss the women with Watchtower at my door --
not aware I've stamped out
embers of His presence

--while Mary sits confined to a corner of my heart
shaking her head in sadness and disbelief:
Girl, when will you learn
to serve Him you must first
let Him serve you.
You will not hear His zephyr voice
above the drumbeat of agenda
motion's clatter or ambition's roar
Open yourself to interruption, serendipity
stillness. Be flexible, available
to sit down or jump up
at His impractical bidding.

--V. Nesdoly 2003


...now go read ragamuffin!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...