Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

anticipation (#805 - 815 of 1000 gifts)

"Hustle and bustle, hurry and haste,
Never a moment that we might waste;
Shopping and wrapping, ribbons and bows,
Christmas is coming as everyone knows..."

A stanza from "Christmas is Coming" by Garnett Ann Schultz (Christmas Ideals)

I rarely sleep through the night. In fact I wake up several times each night to toss, and turn, and look to see what time it is. Our large-number, glow-in-the-dark digital clock which sits across the bed from me on hubby's bedside table is perfect for that. I can actually read the numbers without my glasses.

Lately when I look at the time, I can't tell you how often I happen to see it when the numbers are three-of-a-kind, four-of-a-kind or a run: 11:11, 1:11, 2:22, 3:33. Saturday night to Sunday it was 4:44, last night it was 2:34. I've played enough cards to know that such repeating numbers often signify a good hand. We call such hands lucky. However, I've been interpreting these "clock-hands" not as lucky, but as little reminders that God sees me, loves me, and, even in the middle of the night, is up to give me a little wink and a smile. Am I crazy? That's my gift 805 this week.

And...

806. The Christmas passions of others. The lady who coordinates our church's funeral teas invited all the volunteers to her house for a Christmas tea this week. The one game we played was to find all the manger scenes she had placed in the various rooms of her house. Would you believe the grand total was 32 (and I thought I had an abundance with eight)!


807. Getting Christmas cards and letters and emails from friends and family. It's so nice to catch up!

808. A delightful tree decorated in unusual turquoise and pink (not mine).


809. Doing Christmas baking. I love baking but really shouldn't be eating sweets. However, when the kids are coming, I can afford to get carried away!



810. A medical scare close to home. I'm so thankful for a nearby hospital, attention within the day, and reassurance.

811. An old/new CD by Kim Hill bought from the bargain bin at our local Christian bookstore. (Love her voice, a combination of Rita Springer and Connie Kaldor.)

812. Permission from son and hubby (as if one needs permission, but anyway...) to have ham instead of turkey for Christmas dinner. Suddenly Christmas dinner prep is a whole lot easier.

813. A car mural.


814. Seeing cover designs for my novel. Suddenly it feels real.

815. I'm very close to being ready for Christmas!

************
If you'd like to join me and many others collecting One Thousand Gifts, please do. Some members of this gratefulness community post their gifts on blogs, while others list them in private journals. Instructions on how to join are here.


Violet Nesdoly / poems
Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...