Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2007

come


When Peter asked Jesus to prove His identity by commanding him to walk on the water, Peter was putting out a fleece of sorts. Jesus' answer, "Come," brought Peter to a crossroads of faith. Would he trust Jesus, or trust his ears, eyes and the very slap of the wind on his face?

We know the story -- how he jumped out, started walking on the water but then, distracted by the storm, took his eyes off Jesus and began to sink.

How many times don't we find ourselves in a similar situation? We've prayed, perhaps even put out a fleece and sensed Jesus' answer was "Come." But then we must actually live our faith by jumping into that roiling sea, which every human instinct says will swallow us up. Our choice is to either focus on the natural situation or on the face of the One Who said, 'Come.'

How does walking on water work? I sure don't know. But I do know from this and many other Bible stories of faith, that the very act of doing seems to throw the switch on the law of Kingdom buoyancy.

We're in a situation today where I feel like we've jumped over the side of the boat. The story of Peter walking on water came to mind as I was praying about it, and the old hymn, "I Need The Every Hour':

I need Thee; oh I need Thee!
Every hour I need Thee!
Oh bless me now, my Saviour;
I come to Thee.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...