Pages

Friday, June 29, 2007

dynamite of thanks


There's no mind hygiene like meditating on a bit of the Bible. I know this, but how often don't I neglect it? Lately I've made (another) new start. Last week it was Psalm 32:8-10. Then day-before-yesterday, I flipped the page on my little collection of verses handwritten on file cards, held together with a binder ring, and came to the next one. It's Psalm 50:23: "He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me and prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God" (this is NIV).

As I've mulled these words over in the last two days, I've come to the conclusion this is a dynamite verse. The whole concept is earth-shaking -- thanking God for a thing before it ever happens. Even the writer acknowledges this isn't normal. It's a "sacrifice," an "offering." But it does so much.

First it honors God. Now I think we're talking here not only about mouthing words of thanks, but being so confident God will answer that our whole outlook is changed. We have gone from anxiety to trust and optimism. God likes us to trust Him that much. It honors Him.

Second, such an attitude of thanks before the fact constructs a road -- "prepares the way" for the answer, "the salvation of God." How? Only God knows. It's another one of those Kingdom mysteries.

Are you asking God for something? Take the advice of this verse and join me in thanking Him for the answer He will send. Every time an anxious thought tries to slip in, slam the door tight with the words of this verse. Live this whole day "preparing the way" for God to show His salvation in your situation by uttering audible thanks for the answer that's coming. As you do, watch your attitude change from fretful to faith-filled. And don't forget to keep a lookout for the answer, which will come.

Photo: Mustard - pink this time.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...