Pages

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

breast cancer resource


Another friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with cancer -- breast cancer this time. I know how frightened she is, especially after getting a call after her initial surgery (probably a lumpectomy) saying they needed to go in again and do a mastectomy (removal of the entire breast).

Tonight on the news at Global they had a guest talking about a new web site developed by the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and the Canadian Cancer Society. The site was designed to help women like my friend understand what to expect at each stage of the journey from diagnosis to surgery to adjuvant treatment to beyond in terms of time lines, treatments etc. There are also video clips by breast cancer survivors, giving tips for handling each leg of the journey. I just checked it out and it's excellent.

The site is called the Breast Cancer Navigation Map and helpful for breast cancer patients, although I think their friends and family would benefit from viewing it too. Give it a look here.

(Of course, we know that on a trip through any illness, God is there with us. I believe He can heal, miraculously and instantly or over time through medical treatments and doctors.

In one of the videos on the web site, a woman talks about the importance of finding a place of peace as a refuge during illness. If you are suffering through cancer, let that place be with Jesus. I am reminded of the words of Psalm 23 - "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your road and Your staff, they comfort me.")

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...