Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

a night not to be silent - 7

Suddenly There Was the Angel

And Suddenly, by the creche, on the altar tonight
in the overcrowded Christmas Eve church
a little velvet dressed girl, in green with white lace,
puts her cheek against a ceramic white lamb
and cuddles. This moment happens as suddenly
as the angels appeared in the heavens,
as suddenly as the multitude of heavenly host
praised God and tonight the congregation
watching the embrace of child with lamb
suddenly feels with our whole beings,
Glory to God in the highest heaven
and on earth peace to this child
and to us whom He favors

© 2004 Mary Elizabeth Lauzon


On the Birthday of Life

Show me an image
of the invisible God.
Show me the first born of all creatures.
Show me how to see
everything in Him,
heaven, earth, visible, invisible.
Show me how everything continues.
Show me the fullness residing in Him
and I will kneel at every crib scene I see.
I will kneel to every carved and molded
infant on straw, to every blue-gowned Madonna.
I will kneel by my bed every evening.
I will kneel to the radiant dawn.
I will kneel at every revelation of wisdom.
I will kneel every time I’m set free.
Show me on this birthday of life
newness, fullness, fulfillment,
and I will spend my life kneeling
to the invisible God.
I will spend my life free.

© 2004 Mary Elizabeth Lauzon


Christmas

Unmask me, child Jesus.

As I gaze on the memory
of your innocent eyes,
gaze too on me.

Let me lay my life down
in your manger
and be,
transparent, free, myself.

Break me out of the mold
of exiled conformity
I have laid in
all my life
and show me this Christmas.

In the gaze of your newborn eyes,
my truth, my being,
my own original
God-created love.

Let me become
a transparent reflection
of all I see
in your eyes, Jesus.

Imprint me with wonder
and let me, too,
be Christmas.

© 2004 Mary Elizabeth Lauzon


Mary lives in Calgary Alberta, where she is wife, mother, nurse, poetry teacher and therapist, volunteer...the list goes on and on. In 1998 she published The Kisses of His Mouth, a collection of her work. More of Mary’s poems are found here.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...